The Executive Council is responsible to the Board for the day to day management of the Association and comprises the following members:
Executive Director – James Mitchell
James Mitchell is just crazy passionate about all aspects of polo. He has had a long association with the sport in New Zealand and in particular his club Kiwi. James represented NZ at numerous international competitions and also travelled extensively for polo as a player and coach. James brings a wide range of skills to his current role overseeing the Executive team (who are all volunteers) within our organisation. The Executive Director role acts as the interface between the Board (strategic and governance) and the Executive who are charged with the delivery of the sport.
- Appointed as Executive Director end of 2015.
- NZ Competitions Director 2000-2015
- NZ men’s team 2002-2017
- Founding member of Central Canoe Polo, misc. positions including President.
- Member of Kiwi Canoe Polo Club 1994-onward. Committee member most of that time (and still) and past President.
- ICF B referee
- International coaching experience: Scandinavia, India and China in recent years. Involved in coaching various club and regional teams for last 20 years.
- Played all his career for Vikings teams winning numerous titles. These days he plays slightly more socially for the Vikings Valhalla team.
James can be contacted on email@example.com
Coaching Manager – Jacqui Frost
Jacqui has a long association with polo. Most of you will know her as Frosty’s wife or Liam’s mum. Currently she is working with Kiwi in the role of Coaching Coordinator. She has a degree in Accountancy, and then gained a Post Graduate Diploma to become a primary school teacher. She is a team leader and specializes in developing and delivering resilience programs. Jacqui is also currently undertaking further education in educational psychology. Jacqui’s passion is in empowering teams and in developing people.
I want to ensure our coaches are well resourced and supported at every level of Canoe Polo. Ensuring that we have a nationwide network of coaches that have a culture of learning and development is a key component of this. I am looking forward to working alongside our coaches to develop these areas.
Jacqui can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Manager – Kat Graham
Canoe Polo plays a large role in Kats life, supporting her husband Jed at national and international competitions. Kat has also been supervising the Paddle Blacks website and social media for a few years. She also manages the communications and social media at her work. Kat has never played Canoe Polo, instead prefers to watch and socialise from the side lines.
Kat can be contacted on email@example.com
Competitions Manager – Jed Graham
Jed can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Funding Manager – Rachael Macky
High Performance Manager – Greg Oke
This is a new role within NZCPA and Greg will be on a 1 year term. The reasoning for the 1 year term is so we can develop the role, set processes and have a clear structure in place before we then go through the formal advertising process in 2021.
Greg has an abundance of experience in canoe polo and other sports:
– Head Coach FAHS 7 years
– Coached Kiwi teams A, B and C grade
– Selector for NZCPA current and past
– Board Director NZCPA ( 4 years)
– Development officer Kiwi Canoe Polo
– Coached Centrals Development
– Regional Referee.
– Current B Grade open player (Vikings Rust)
– Involved with the Olympic and Commonwealth games from a health provider and athlete services role 2004, 2006 ,2008, 2010 games
– Represented NZ at Slalom and White water racing
– Rep NZ Canoe Polo Masters. Oceania
Greg has a passion for high performance sport and its growth and delivery.
He is keenly aware of the needs of developing players at all ages and has a strong understanding of the pressure at high performance levels.
He is committed to clarifying our current framework and looking at the needs of our athletes and sport into the future.
He is open to dialogue with all stakeholders in this process and believes in a strong, representative, ethical and inclusive culture that underpins our program.
He believes in providing a pathway for our athletes to excel on the world stage with no barriers.
Greg would like to see Canoe Polo in the Olympic Games as a core canoe sport with NZ strongly represented in the medals.
Greg can be contacted on email@example.com
Refereeing Manager – Cam Butler
Cam can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Schools Manager – Kelly Walters
Kelly can be contacted on email@example.com
Squads Manager – Meryn Hinton
Squad Clerk for Oceania – Claire Osborne
Claire can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org